Group Assistant - CASE Space School Expeditions to NASA, Houston, TX
Time Frame: July 1-8 or July 6-12 2018
Location: Houston, Texas
Stipend: $600 per week , We will provide 4 star accomadation in Houston with the tour group, as well as breakfast lunch and dinner.
California Association for STEAM Education (CASE) mission is to design and deliver the most inspiring and innovative STEAM based educational programs where students will acquire and master critical transferable skills for their future success.
As a CASE Group Assistant, you play a vital role in the delivery and management of the expedition by conducting operational tasks, supporting the daily program delivery, acting as part of the Supervisory group who share in the duty of care and inspire students to make the most of this once in a lifetime experience. These international students will be traveling to Houston to explore STEAM facilities such as Space Center Houston, Museums, and various other locations and activities during the expedition. You will be joining your allocated group for the full duration of their stay at the hotel and while visiting various program locations in and around Houston. CASE Group Assistants will be provided with expedition specific training pre-tour, the applicable Stipend as well as meals and lodging during the expedition.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Group Assistants are required to attend Group Assistant training.
- Share in the responsibility of providing Duty of Care for the students, ensuring their health, safety and well-being during the expedition.
- Assume a backup role for the Group Manager during any durations of escalations
- Work closely with the accompanying teachers and staff to deliver a high-quality experience
- Ensure standard operating procedures (SOPs) are followed as taught, including procedures to manage escalations, room checks and management of student health and dietary requirements
- Manage the timely arrival and departure of the group to and from all program locations, including continuous communication with operational staff
- Prepare Group Room and equipment for daily activities
- Ensure cleanliness and proper use of Group Rooms always including a nightly check of facilities and equipment
- Assist Group Managers with group activities, group movement and management of students’ needs
- Conduct Student briefs in the form of 15min Powerpoint supported presentations in preparation for site visits
- Play required media for each session in accordance with the instructions in the Master Schedule Software (training provided)
- Active participation in the daily operational meetings and expedition meetings
- Be able to post and share responsibly on group social media pages including daily sorting and uploading of photos onto SmugMug Photo Gallery in accordance with the Social Media SOP and training provided
- Prepare PowerPoint photo slide show– template will be provided
Required attributes, qualifications and experience
- Friendly and enthusiastic personality. Good team player.
- University qualifications/educational background, preferably in STEAM such as majoring in Science, Communication, Education, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics
- Training and experience in leading and/or coaching young people, camp experience favourable
- Strong organization, communication and time management skills. Attention to detail.
- Experience in presenting to groups of 30+ people
- Good health & stamina – the expedition is challenging and requires physical and mental toughness
- A current First Aid certificate including CPR, asthma and anaphylaxis treatment
- A clean background check
A successful applicant can expect:
- Access to Houston’s unique STEAM facilities and the opportunity to meet leading experts of various STEAM fields
- Training to fulfil the Group Assistant role delivered in a combination of online E-Learning (5-6 hours) and face-to-face tuition (approx. 15 hours, split in a pre-tour training event in June as well as on-site training on July 1)
- CASE Group Assistant Accreditation
- A temporary contract of employment for the expedition duration in Houston
- A compensation of $600 per week pay with bonus program subject to performance evaluation against the pre-defined criteria at the end of the expedition course.
- Provision of all meals, accommodation (4+ star hotel), ground transportation, events’ admission, use of iPad and laptop Computer, Digital camera and various other IT equipment during the course of expedition only. (Other personal expenditure is at the Group Assistant’s own expense.)
← Back to search